Blue Jay Bar

Return to Off Topic

Blue Jay Bar

Postby Polyfro » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:04 pm

...is in trouble with the liquor commission again. Sounds like they've got one last chance to curb underage drinking or they're out of business. Kinda amazing that the place has survived as long as it has; they barely (and I do mean barely) carded anyone when I was a student, and that was 20 years ago.

On a side note, I found the piece on the complexity of fake ID's you can get now to be fascinating. I remember when a dude with a laminating machine and a nice printer in Swanson Hall made them for everyone back in the day.

Omaha World Herald wrote:“All of us are tired of hearing about the problems there,” said Bob Batt of Omaha, chairman of the commission. “If more problems do arise, they will be dealt with harshly.”

(snip)

Batt and others on the commission said Tuesday that they get more complaints about minors drinking at the Blue Jay Bar than the strip of college bars on O Street in Lincoln, near the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus.

“I’ve been stopped by five separate mothers who’ve begged me to shut you down,” said Batt, retired vice president of the Nebraska Furniture Mart, to Stapleton.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/nebrask ... 965e0.html
#GoJays
Polyfro

Re: Blue Jay Bar

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:26 pm

on the one hand - it is surprising/impressive that it has survived this long in spite of long standing shenanigans

on the other - do people really have nothing better to do than bitch about college kids having some fun at a place that is 200 yards from campus and everyone who is underage walks to and from? it's not like anyone is bothering the (nonexistent) neighbors over there

it'd be a shame if the jay got shuttered. it's every bit the institution and part of being a Jay that mass at st johns, ice cream at ted and wallys, and bronco burger is.
cujaysfan

Postby blueblood » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 pm

First the Phi Psi's and now this? WTF

Here's to the time the bathroom was broken so they put in a 5 gallon bucket.

Hunter tell your mom to shut the fuck up.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby SendDustyIn » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:37 pm

I miss the days where I could bring $20 to the bar, pay cover, get sloppy and still tip the bartenders.

Now, that will barely cover a drink for me and the missus.
SendDustyIn

Postby flixx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:53 am

Seemingly anything 'Creighton' related that has negative connotation is immediately picked up and splashed all over the Omaha World Herald. I cannot believe the bars in Lincoln do not have similar underage drinking issues, yet the OWH reports the liquor commission comments about the Blue Jay Bar??!!!

The story points out there has not been a violation reported on the Blue Jay since 2014...so the liquor commission accept busy body mothers' complaining to them as Gospel? Also, as far as I know, there is one bar (reasonable anyway) that is in walking distance from CU Campus compared to numerous options for students in Lincoln...So seems obvious that it is more likely for the campus with fewer close options to be focused on one establishment than the numbers of underage drinkers in Lincoln to be more dissipated between various establishments.

Where are the complaints cited that compare 'the entire strip' of bars on 'O' street in Lincoln to the Blue Jay? Are these anecdotal as well?

Sorry, I just really despise how the OWH chooses to slight Creighton virtually any way they can...the University has no role in the management of the bar...the pendulum has shifted so radically in terms of alcohol use since I was a student at Creighton it is difficult to fathom...

But Stapleton said that new, higher-tech fake ID cards, which can be purchased online for $150, are making it hard to spot minors.

He said he is working with fraternity and sorority officials to identify who is underage.

“It’s a difficult situation,” Stapleton said. “We do face challenges.”

The Blue Jay Bar is at 2416 Davenport St., a short walk from the Creighton University campus, and has been a favorite with students for years.

The bar has been cited only once in recent years, in 2014, for selling to a minor, and its license was suspended.

But Batt and Hobert Rupe, the liquor commission’s executive director, said they have each fielded a handful of informal complaints about underage drinkers at the bar.

“I’ve been stopped by five separate mothers who’ve begged me to shut you down,” said Batt, retired vice president of the Nebraska Furniture Mart, to Stapleton.

Rupe said the Blue Jay has generated more complaints about minors drinking than the entire strip of college bars on O Street in Lincoln, near the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus.
flixx

Postby blueblood » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:59 am

Great points. Logical thinking anyone?

Along the same lines I read in today's OWH the Pine Ridge drinking deal. As if shutting down beer sales in one town will solve the issues of alcoholism at Pine Ridge. Drunks gonna find a way to get booze. Outa site outa mind though.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby FreddyMac » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:12 am

When did the Jay turn into a place where underage kids can drink anyway? When I was going (early 90s) the Jay was pretty much one place that you absolutely did not go until you were of age. My ID sucked so I certainly stayed away and only went to the 5 or 10 bars where you could definitely get away with it but even some of my friends who had good IDs didn't really try the Jay.
FreddyMac

Postby FreddyMac » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:17 am

Oh, and the Whiteclay beer thing is such a mess. Yeah, closing the liquor stores was pretty dumb. As if that suddenly is going to stop an alcoholic from just buying beer elsewhere and even further away. It's obviously a "yuge" problem there but come up with an actual solution, not just kick it down the road.
FreddyMac

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:57 pm

You don't take fakes to the bars on O street without taking a huge risk. If you're underage and know one of the bouncers you might get served. Dempsey's, which really isn't a bar, would pour beers for kids without carding them. Outside that, I heard plenty of stories of bouncers calling cops on idiots with fakes. At places like Iggy's I would get carded at the door and while sitting at the bar, IME at the Jay (~2-3 years ago) it was always a lot more lax . They're hardasses about it in Lincoln
Jaysker12

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:12 am

I think it's funny that "five separate mothers" want the liquor commission to help them parent their kids...

I am sure Creighton, Omaha, and the whole state of Nebraska will be better off if they shutter it (said dripping with sarcasm).
Savannah Jay

Next

Return to Off Topic