Eclipse!

Return to Off Topic

Re: Eclipse!

Postby Polyfro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:38 pm

jays911 wrote:
blueblood wrote:I have nicknamed myself the Eclipse scrooge. I thought it sucked. Bar next door to my office is called "the Eclipse" and it was packed. No parking in the lot. With the hype I thought we would have total darkness. It was barely dusk with 98% coverage. The over saturation of coverage killed it for me. No offense to those that loved it, just was no big deal to me.

You needed to see the totality. I watched it in Auburn. Incredible experience.

Oh yeah, I completely agree. You wouldn't think there'd be a big difference between the 98% coverage in Omaha and 100% elsewhere (I didn't before reading up on it a month or so ago as I tried to decide if it was worth it to take a road trip), but it's a huge difference. We watched it in Grand Island yesterday and it was simply an amazing wonder of nature. Photos, even by the pros, do not do the totality justice.

As it got close, it looked like dusk except there were still dark, distinct shadows on the ground, which was crazy. Then the horizon had a 360-degree sunset, which was breathtaking. And when it went 100% and everyone removed their glasses to look at the glowing ring...well, I'm not sure I can describe it. All I know is I stood and stared at that ring and everything surrounding it for at least 45 seconds with my jaw on the ground; whatever I thought it was going to look and feel like was not at all like what actually happened. It was stunning.
#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby blueblood » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:00 pm

OK I get it. Will have to take a day of work next time and go to the 100%.

I mean when I saw 98% I just did not understand what the difference could be so i walked out the back door of my office. Honest, at 98% you would not have even known there was an eclipse without the glasses. It was a nonevent.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby LJay » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 pm

77 - 62
LJay

Postby Jaybird » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 pm

taa71458 wrote:
blueblood wrote: No offense to those that loved it, just was no big deal to me.

Everything seems a bit underwhelming once a zombie dragon is in play.

Time to call a spade a spade. The unsung heroes of the Seven Kingdoms, the real Westeros VIPs, are those ravens. They're faster than an easbound 747 with a kickass tailwind, and apparently they're all equipped with not only state-of-the-art GPS (has a raven ever failed to hit its target?) but more defensive armaments than your typical aircraft carrier, since storms and predators just roll off their backs.

Take Sunday's glorious mess of an episode. Eastwatch dispatches a raven to Dragonstone to ask for reinforcements for our magnificent seven stuck on an icefloe and surrounded by zombies, and the zombies are closing in because the water just re-froze. Now, a couple weeks ago, when somebody in the north was pining for Jon Snow, Sansa or someone said he's 1000 miles from here. So, Dragonstone's a 1000 miles from there. But, no sweat for a raven. The raven delivers the message, Dany saddles up Drogon and, before any of our dream team could think to put on a hat because, you know, it's cold outside, the dragons swoop in to to light up those zombies like they were in a Charlottesville torch parade. All because of a raven.

I'll readily concede that dragons have supersonic speed, but ravens? The Post Office could learn a thing or two from those birds.
Jaybird

Postby taa71458 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:24 am

Jaybird wrote:
taa71458 wrote:
blueblood wrote: No offense to those that loved it, just was no big deal to me.

Everything seems a bit underwhelming once a zombie dragon is in play.

Time to call a spade a spade. The unsung heroes of the Seven Kingdoms, the real Westeros VIPs, are those ravens.

taa71458

Previous

Return to Off Topic