Faith

Return to Off Topic

Faith

Postby jayball » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:56 pm

So this might be too deep and personal of a discussion but I thought I would try it anyway. Happy to take this into private messages if that is better for people.

I am looking for advice on a few things from those who practice a religious faith.

-How did you find the right church or community for your family?
-what things do you do to try to pass on a faith to your kids.
-beyond attending services, How do you nurture an internal spiritual life in your kids that can help them later in life?

Context for my inquiries. (This got long sorry).
I grew up loosely presbyterian. As a military family we moved fairly frequently and I attended church with my mother and siblings in spurts My father never really came due to bad experiences with religion in his childhood. While I know the basics of Christianity and have had mostly positive religious experiences I would not say I have deep religious roots. My relationship with god has fluctuated widely with large periods of time being disconnected. I have always been envious of people that have a deep spiritual life and community. My wife attended a Christian school at times but her family did not have a religious tradition that the actively practiced.

I have two young children and feel responsible for helping connect them to God. Furthermore I have been experiencing a personal pull to a closer relationship.

Our family experienced a serious health crisis and while things are good now the future is uncertain. One of my sons may face some serious challenges in the future. He was too young to comprehend things previously but he will become more and more aware as he ages. I would like to help give him tools to help deal with that.

I received enormous comfort and strength leaning in to God during that difficult time. It was intense and deeply moving. Since that time I have been seeking way to build that more into my life and my family. We have been church "shopping" and kind of fumbling around searching for a way to connect with the right religious community. Just curious to hear from others about their experiences finding a church and other efforts to help nurture faith in kids. (My oldest is five).

Thanks.
jayball

Re: Faith

Postby jays911 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:38 am

Blessings. I was raised Lutheran, but converted to Catholicism after I married. One of the three best choices of my life (the other two being choosing Creighton over UNL, and, of course, letting my wife choose me). I have never regretted it, and have become very deeply involved in the faith. I would suggest you try a few Catholic parishes to see if one clicks. Our Lady of Lourdes, Holy Cross and St. Francis Cabrini are among my personal favorites, or one close to where you live. Best regards.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby CreighTony » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Nothing wrong with too deep and too personal. The first thing, that I think needs to be done, is to connect with someone who can help you to learn what it means to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and to be able to mentor you. I have a daughter who is now 18 that was born with multiple handicaps and who has brought so much blessings into our lives and others. Our life, due to our circumstances, is so much "different" than what the world tells us it should be. When our child was born, who was our second child, my wife and I prayed for two things specifically: Number one: That the joy would not be taken away, and Number two: That my wife and I, and our love for each other, would grow closer and stronger. Both those prayers have been answered beyond our hopes. We would not have made it without our faith that has grown stronger by the year and day. I would be willing to meet with you some time, along with our wives if you wish.(I'm not sure how that works; we would probably have to go through the site monitor.) Thank you for your courage to bring this up.
CreighTony

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:43 pm

good for you for going on this journey. a more worthwhile discussion to be sure.

i've sometimes gotten the 'why Catholic' question - and aside from the fact that my parents, and their parents, and so on were

if you're going to go the christian route - and everyone has their version of the sacraments...so if you're going to be a bear - be a grizzly.

and by that i mean - why not go all the way. the real presence in the Eucharist is something worth digging into (a Catholic exclusive) - and whether that resonates with you as something meaningful and important - then you might be on the right path to finding a church that will be fulfilling for you and your family.

Slainte!
cujaysfan

Postby KenoshaJay » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Really enjoyed the book by Scott and Kimberly Hahn: Rome Sweet Home. Helped me to embrace my faith more completely.

From the Catholic perspective, dynamiccatholic.com is a great start to venture out.

I often encourage people to join other family members and friends with where they go to church, to get different perspectives. There are many ways to get balance in our lives - emotionally, physically, spiritually.

Worth every bit of effort for you and your family. God bless and best wishes.
KenoshaJay

Postby jays911 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm

KenoshaJay wrote:Really enjoyed the book by Scott and Kimberly Hahn: Rome Sweet Home. Helped me to embrace my faith more completely.

From the Catholic perspective, dynamiccatholic.com is a great start to venture out.

I often encourage people to join other family members and friends with where they go to church, to get different perspectives. There are many ways to get balance in our lives - emotionally, physically, spiritually.

Worth every bit of effort for you and your family. God bless and best wishes.

I have reaa almost all of Hahn' stuff, and it is all good. My favorite one is the book that explains what all of the phases of the Mass mean and signify.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:46 pm

cujaysfan wrote:good for you for going on this journey. a more worthwhile discussion to be sure.

i've sometimes gotten the 'why Catholic' question - and aside from the fact that my parents, and their parents, and so on were

if you're going to go the christian route - and everyone has their version of the sacraments...so if you're going to be a bear - be a grizzly.

and by that i mean - why not go all the way. the real presence in the Eucharist is something worth digging into (a Catholic exclusive) - and whether that resonates with you as something meaningful and important - then you might be on the right path to finding a church that will be fulfilling for you and your family.

Slainte!

The concept of real presence in the Eucharist is not a Catholic exclusive. Lutherans believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:59 pm

let me backtrack a wee bit - some of the eastern orthodoxies are in on real presence

i think there are some distinctions btw the lutheran theology and catholcism

it's why some of those priests can be accepted into the fold (married or not) - with little to do.

i don't think that's true for Lutherans as there is enough difference for it to matter to the folks that matter in the Vatican
cujaysfan

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:16 pm

cujaysfan wrote:let me backtrack a wee bit - some of the eastern orthodoxies are in on real presence

i think there are some distinctions btw the lutheran theology and catholcism

it's why some of those priests can be accepted into the fold (married or not) - with little to do.

i don't think that's true for Lutherans as there is enough difference for it to matter to the folks that matter in the Vatican

There are definitely some differences between the Lutheran theology and Catholicism -- the whole history of the Reformation, the development of Lutheranism, etc. But that doesn't mean that Lutherans don't believe in real presence, because they/we do. Lutherans believe that Christ's body and blood are really present in the Eucharist, truly and substantially. Lutherans do not view the Eucharist as "symbolic" of Christ's body and blood, or anything other than His real presence.

I'm really not sure what the statements about married priests or the Vatican mean or have to do with real presence, so you lost me there.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:27 pm

my apologies if i'm mis-remembering - i might be lumping lutherans in with the rest of the american protestants - as not believing in RP - it's been a long time and a lot of bourbons since my last theology class

the point about married priests (and non married) - from those denominations was that the theology was lockstep (enough) - that accepting them into the Catholic fold is possible.

that's not true for Lutherans.
cujaysfan

Next

Return to Off Topic