Prosecutors drop rape charge against Maurice Watson;

Return to Off Topic

Re: Maurice Watson, Jr.

Postby cufan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Totally agree not guilty is not the same as innocent (a concept that is often not understood). However, Mo wasn't found "not guilty" by a jury. Rather, the prosecutors didn't even feel comfortable moving forward with charges because "a jury would not find the accuser credible". That's just about as close to innocent as you can get in the criminal just system.

As an aside, I often times have strong opinions that are different than many on here. But, 77s tirade was totally out of line and glad he is (presumably) banned. No place for those types of personal attacks.
cufan

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:02 am

My two cents:

Mo Watson was arrested and charged with rape. Police felt there was enough evidence to ARREST HIM AND CHARGE HIM WITH RAPE. The University had to do something. The stories that came out afterwards were horrifying. If Creighton wouldn't have done anything, it would have been irresponsible.

Now that he's *only* a sexual assaulter, and not a raper (according to the plea deal and Mo's criminal record), I don't look back and think "the sexual assaulter got a raw deal." I take being objective as a life's challenge, so I'm not one who sees thing through any shaded glasses, but I'm baffled that anyone thinks Creighton did something wrong through their actions.
vivid_dude

Postby cufan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:31 am

vivid_dude wrote:My two cents:

Mo Watson was arrested and charged with rape. Police felt there was enough evidence to ARREST HIM AND CHARGE HIM WITH RAPE. The University had to do something. The stories that came out afterwards were horrifying. If Creighton wouldn't have done anything, it would have been irresponsible.

Now that he's *only* a sexual assaulter, and not a raper (according to the plea deal and Mo's criminal record), I don't look back and think "the sexual assaulter got a raw deal." I take being objective as a life's challenge, so I'm not one who sees thing through any shaded glasses, but I'm baffled that anyone thinks Creighton did something wrong through their actions.

You need to educate yourself on the facts. These sorts of things need to get called out so other posters don't believe pure falsehoods are true facts.

A sexual assault was not part of the plea deal in any way shape or form. Mo is NOT a sex offender (objective fact under the law, not my opinion)
Last edited by cufan on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
cufan

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 am

My bad. Assaulter, not sexual assaulter. The point stands.

I just want to make sure your position is on the record. So, when the story is this...

He pressed the woman up against a sink, lowered his pants and forced her to perform oral sex on him. He then turned her around, pushed her against a wall, pulled down her pants and raped her. The 19-year-old later went to the Nebraska Medical Center, where medical staff found a cut to her vagina consistent with nonconsensual sex, Beninato said. Beninato said doctors found a “massive amount” of blood as they examined her.

...your position is that Creighton should have said "let's just see how this all plays out first." If that's your position, wow.
vivid_dude

Postby cufan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 am

vivid_dude wrote:My bad. Assaulter, not sexual assaulter. The point stands.

I just want to make sure your position is on the record. So, when the story is this...

He pressed the woman up against a sink, lowered his pants and forced her to perform oral sex on him. He then turned her around, pushed her against a wall, pulled down her pants and raped her. The 19-year-old later went to the Nebraska Medical Center, where medical staff found a cut to her vagina consistent with nonconsensual sex, Beninato said. Beninato said doctors found a “massive amount” of blood as they examined her.

...your position is that Creighton should have said "let's just see how this all plays out first." If that's your position, wow.

Nope, now you are making assumptions.

They should suspend until the criminal justice system plays out. They automatically expelled him. When it comes out that the accusers story "lacks credibility" (aka false accusation) he should have been immediately reinstated as a student.
cufan

Postby ZMagic30 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:49 pm

That doesn't mean "false accusation." That's just ridiculous to assume.
ZMagic30

Postby cufan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:59 pm

ZMagic30 wrote:That doesn't mean "false accusation." That's just ridiculous to assume.

It's not an assumption. It was proven she lied to law enforcement and prosecutors. Significant details of her original story were most certainly false, otherwise prosecutors would not have dropped charges.
cufan

Postby Oldfan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm

There are some definite armchair lawyers here. We don’t know if there was anything “proven” about her story. The DA just determined that convincing the jury behind a reasonable doubt was unlikely. It was maybe proven that she was not credible so it wasn’t worth going in front of a jury.
Oldfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:43 pm

The show's over folks - let it go.
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby fritzpointer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Great post gtmo.
fritzpointer

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic