Prosecutors drop rape charge against Maurice Watson;

Return to Off Topic

Re: Prosecutors drop rape charge against Maurice Watson;

Postby cu8493 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 am

joekoboji wrote:
LynchMob wrote:The actions of these two are part of a disturbing pattern we see at universities all over the country where university staff completely ignores the courts of law and declare someone guilty no matter what following an accusation.

Honestly, I hope these two are fired. This kind of 'string them up' attitude has no place in a modern society.

Did not Mo admit his guilt to third-degree sexual assault of another Creighton student? I'd say that sort of behavior has no place in a modern society. CU & Mac are tone deaf on this item.

Absolutely not. His plea was to a misdemeanor 3d degree assault. That's the least severe assault charge there is. Essentially, its what you can be charged with if you touch someone without their consent. A common default charge when the prosecutor wants something in order to drop more serious charges. No worse than had he pushed another student in the hallway or something. Prosecutor no longer had much of a case and they knew it when it came to light that she had lied about some other things that happened that night. The ultimate charge had nothing to do with the woman who accused him of rape. It was for touching the other woman on her "inner thigh" as they sat on a couch that night. Whether he ever touched the other woman or not, who knows, but if you are in his shoes -- a young black man accused of rape with probably an all white jury in Omaha, Nebraska and you have a chance to put it all behind you by pleading to a misdemeanor assault vs. the possibility of being wrongly convicted and sentenced to many years behind bars (not to mention spending tens of thousands of dollars in legal costs to defend yourself) -- I think you take that plea every time. CU has graduated many students with misdemeanor assault convictions. Hell, I graduated with two that I know of. I'm in Mo's camp on this one. And, I have a daughter.
cu8493

Postby SendDustyIn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Any local takes on this?
SendDustyIn

Postby vivid_dude » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:02 pm

I really hope Mo deletes his tweet from a few minutes ago about some girl’s period. I don’t know the context, but I can’t imagine one where I’d say “oh, now that’s appropriate.”
vivid_dude

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:26 pm

vivid_dude wrote:I really hope Mo deletes his tweet from a few minutes ago about some girl’s period. I don’t know the context, but I can’t imagine one where I’d say “oh, now that’s appropriate.”

Think RiRi is his dog, based on past tweets.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby vivid_dude » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:08 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:I really hope Mo deletes his tweet from a few minutes ago about some girl’s period. I don’t know the context, but I can’t imagine one where I’d say “oh, now that’s appropriate.”

Think RiRi is his dog, based on past tweets.

About as good of an outcome that I could hope for.
vivid_dude

Previous

Return to Off Topic