ESPN Can’t Afford Monday Night Football Any More

Return to Off Topic

ESPN Can’t Afford Monday Night Football Any More

Postby flixx » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:38 am

interesting article...discussed earlier on this board but I cannot find the old threads...lots of details about the financial strain on ESPN...

ESPN pays $2 billion a year to the NFL for Monday Night Football and one NFL wild card playoff game. I’ve written for the past couple of years that as ESPN’s business collapses that ESPN’s decision on whether or not to bid to keep Monday Night Football would be the first big test of how rapidly that business is deteriorating.

What’s a deteriorating business look like? In the month of October ESPN lost over 15,000 subscribers a day in October per the latest Nielson estimates.

15,000 a day!

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-cant-afford-monday-night-football/
flixx

Re: ESPN Can’t Afford Monday Night Football Any More

Postby LynchMob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't know how HBO pulled it off contractually, but ESPN desperately needs their own stand-alone service. I pay $15 a month to HBO for HBO Now, I would gladly pay at least that amount for both ESPN and Fox Sports and drop the rest of my cable, given the option. That would be somewhere between 3-5x what they get from me now, depending on what you read. The big question has been the subsidy paid by people who don't watch sports, but those people are already dropping cable as it is.

Supposedly a stand-alone service is coming in 2018 which is almost already too late.

Just as another note, ESPN is on basic cable just about everywhere. There are a few outlying services and packages where that's not true, but for the most part, if you have cable or satellite, you get ESPN. If ESPN is losing 15,000 subscribers a day, that applies equally to all the rest of basic cable, they just don't have a cottage industry dedicated to predicting their doom. Nobody is blogging about Spike TV's ratings.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 pm

LynchMob wrote:Just as another note, ESPN is on basic cable just about everywhere. There are a few outlying services and packages where that's not true, but for the most part, if you have cable or satellite, you get ESPN. If ESPN is losing 15,000 subscribers a day, that applies equally to all the rest of basic cable, they just don't have a cottage industry dedicated to predicting their doom. Nobody is blogging about Spike TV's ratings.

That's true...but those other networks were never cash cows like ESPN because they never generated the revenue like ESPN. And because ESPN gets over $7.00 for every subscriber (I think the next highest is about $1.50 for TNT), every cable cut has a dramatically greater impact on ESPN. To use your example, Spike TV probably gets pennies per subscriber so it is not news when they lose one or 15,000.
Savannah Jay

Postby section202jay » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 am

Anyone know where TNF was last night on Amazon Prime? I heard it was pulled due to poor ratings?
Twitter @PRspcDerek
section202jay

Return to Off Topic