Best baseball stadiums

Return to Off Topic

Best baseball stadiums

Postby section202jay » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Doing a ballpark tour this summer across the Midwest and hitting some stadiums we haven't been to yet. Anybody have any to recommend (minor league, independent league)?

Ones we have hit:
- Werner Park
- Kauffman Stadium
- Busch Stadium
- Coors Field
- OKC Brickyard
- Springfield Cardinals stadium (Hammons Field I think)
- Texas Rangers
- Haymarket Park

Right now I am thinking going up the Mississippi River and doing Quad Cities, Burlington & Clinton, possibly Cedar Rapids.
Twitter @PRspcDerek
section202jay

Re: Best baseball stadiums

Postby bluejy2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:35 pm

section202jay wrote:Doing a ballpark tour this summer across the Midwest and hitting some stadiums we haven't been to yet. Anybody have any to recommend (minor league, independent league)?

Ones we have hit:
- Werner Park
- Kauffman Stadium
- Busch Stadium
- Coors Field
- OKC Brickyard
- Springfield Cardinals stadium (Hammons Field I think)
- Texas Rangers
- Haymarket Park

Right now I am thinking going up the MIssissippi River and doing Quad Cities, Burlington & Clinton, possibly Cedar Rapids.

Peoria has a nice park (Dozer Park) right down the street from CATERPILLAR. It is a Cardinals affilated team. Not too far from your Mississippi path....
Last edited by bluejy2 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
bluejy2

Postby JayPak » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Field of Dreams!
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:04 pm

modern woodman park in davenport is about as good of a setting for baseball that you'll find - it usually rates pretty highly on these minor league lists

QC River Bandits play there

http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?sid=t565&ymd=20070412&content_id=206132&vkey=team1

Edit - Burlington's community field is pretty bad - maybe worst i've ever been to - and I was once upon a time the Asst GM there as one of my first jobs out of CU - I'd skip
Last edited by cujaysfan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
cujaysfan

Postby jayball » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:16 pm

CHS field in St Paul is a fun little park. St. Paul saints are independent team owned by Mike Veeck, bill Murray and a few others. Always some funny promo or something unique at the ballpark.

http://saintsbaseball.com
jayball

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 am

jayball wrote:CHS field in St Paul is a fun little park. St. Paul saints are independent team owned by Mike Veeck, bill Murray and a few others. Always some funny promo or something unique at the ballpark.

And if you go to the Twin Cities, might as well hit Target Field...I thought it was nicely done and I've been to most major league stadiums.
Savannah Jay

Postby Panhandle Jay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am

Very far I know, but Casper is an awesome setting. Rookie affiliate of the Rockies.

Edit: Wow, they moved to Grand Junction. Nvm.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 21
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby Wizard of Jayz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:15 am

Savannah Jay wrote:
jayball wrote:CHS field in St Paul is a fun little park. St. Paul saints are independent team owned by Mike Veeck, bill Murray and a few others. Always some funny promo or something unique at the ballpark.

And if you go to the Twin Cities, might as well hit Target Field...I thought it was nicely done and I've been to most major league stadiums.

Ditto this. Buy a standing room ticket and walk around. You'll be a able to see the game from just about anywhere. My favorite spot is dead center above the batters eye.
Wizard of Jayz

Postby jayball » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:15 am

I thought the original poster was looking for minorleage/independent team stadiums but Target Field and its tours are pretty cool if you have the chance....it was squeezed on an 8acre site right in downtown mpls (most mlb sites are 16-20 acres).

https://www.mlb.com/twins/ballpark/tours
jayball

Postby bigredtank » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:56 am

I always enjoy going to Haymarket Park, especially on Thursdays for $1 beer, $1 hot dogs. The facility is nice and it doesn't hurt that my son is a bat boy for the Lincoln Saltdogs. We've gone to a few minor league parks and I've enjoyed Sioux Falls, SD, Springfield, IL, Sioux City, IA. None of those are up to the quality of Haymarket facility wise, but Sioux Falls has a great bar outside of 3rd base which has local beer on tap. We are planning another weekend excursion up there sometime. I'm hoping to get to the T-Bones stadium in Overland Park this year as well.
bigredtank

Next

Return to Off Topic