2017 Aguek Arop Omaha South (San Diego St Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 Aguek Arop Omaha South

Postby blueblood » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Jays26 wrote:
Kkorverfan wrote:According to twitter he has officially given a verbal commitment to Nebraska.

I put the odds at 50/50 he changes his mind.

But nice pickup for the skers that's for sure.

And the winner is Jays26. Good call.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby White&BlueDude » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:18 pm

From the sound of it, it wasn't Aguek that changed his mind.
White&BlueDude

Postby cu8493 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:31 pm

I hope Aguek finds a good landing spot. At least Miles told him now and not right before November signing period. Seems like a really good kid. Very well spoken in the interviews I have heard. Not sure he is a BE level wing, but if nothing else, would love to see UNO get involved with him.
cu8493

Postby LJay » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:40 pm

89 - 60
LJay

Postby JayPharmAlum » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:14 pm

This just makes so little sense to me. Miles could have used the good PR that would have come from signing a local kid whether he turned out to be a star or not. It's not like there are 4-5 stars beating down Miles' door to play for NU.
JayPharmAlum

Postby westojay » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Exactly. This has to make Miles look bad in recruiting the Metro and with the rise in talent locally its not a good time to be playing games like this. Speaking of which, I can't wait to see JP and KT playing against them this year.
westojay

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:58 pm

So what's the verdict here? (1) crappy evaluation in offering Aguek in the first place or (2) crappy roster management?

I can't believe Miles did this after bringing on board a Samford transfer this summer and letting Aguek miss out on a chance to be evaluated during summer ball. What a tool. I'd wish him good luck recruiting in Omaha for the next decade, but he won't be around that long.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Bluejays4ever » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:58 pm

I agree on the nonsense that is NU recruiting. KT, JP and the rest of the team against the junior varsity Lincoln squad will be entertaining. Can't wait to see the squad vs. VU, XU, etc.
Bluejays4ever

Postby WBR Tom » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:02 am

Pulling a scholarship offer isn't that uncommon. Happens all the time at big schools (including Creighton). Difference here is Miles waited to do it after the AAU circuit was over, costing Arop the opportunity to impress coaches from other schools and thus severely limiting his options going forward. If they'd cut bait in June, this would have been a much smaller story, and it's unlikely his high school coach would be (rightfully so) scorching the earth with venom.

That coach isn't just some random guy, BTW. He's the father of one of the greatest Nebraska basketball players ever. So not only is Miles torching bridges with high school coaches in his state's biggest city, he's torching bridges with his own program's history (what little of it there is).

Miles' days are numbered in Lincoln, I think. Which is too bad, really, because I'm just starting to like the guy :lol:
WBR Tom

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Polyfro wrote:Pulling a scholarship offer isn't that uncommon. Happens all the time at big schools (including Creighton). Difference here is Miles waited to do it after the AAU circuit was over, costing Arop the opportunity to impress coaches from other schools and thus severely limiting his options going forward. If they'd cut bait in June, this would have been a much smaller story, and it's unlikely his high school coach would be (rightfully so) scorching the earth with venom.

That coach isn't just some random guy, BTW. He's the father of one of the greatest Nebraska basketball players ever. So not only is Miles torching bridges with high school coaches in his state's biggest city, he's torching bridges with his own program's history (what little of it there is).

Miles' days are numbered in Lincoln, I think. Which is too bad, really, because I'm just starting to like the guy :lol:

For what it's worth, they didn't actually pull his scholarship. They just asked him to go to prep school for a year despite being a full academic qualifier. Aguek wasn't interested in doing that and took the hint. I think the prep school thing was a way to try to smooth the hit Nebraska was going to take, because he wasn't going to grow three inches in the next year.
JacobPadilla

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting