Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby ictjay » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:33 am

AttyAlum wrote:
ictjay wrote:Why would he not have 4 years eligibility? Red-shirted freshman year, not sure what transpired this fall.

Once the NCAA eligibility clock starts, it doesn't stop. He loses a year of eligibility for this year whether he plays or not since he has already used his redshirt. Then he won't become eligible until after the end of the first semester, so another 1/2 year gone.

Thanks
ictjay

Postby section202jay » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:09 pm

I'm kind of excited about this find in Dunkum. Say he develops into even half of was Groselle was that'd be useful off the bench for 7 minutes a game. Plus our staff has a penchant for developing big men.
section202jay

Postby FlyByNight101 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:15 pm

I would think that he would be able to apply for a medical exemption for last season, but I don't think that happens until after he exhausts his 'normal' eligibility and the NCAA can be pretty inconsistent in granting those.
FlyByNight101

Postby cu8493 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Personally, I am hoping he develops enough to be drafted after his senior year and whether he could get an extra year becomes moot.
cu8493

Postby sarp » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:22 pm

I think there should be a special rule where Marcus and Sam switch last names. Just like in the olden times. If You were son of John, last name Johnson. If you were a silver smith, last name Silversmith. Therefore, if you defy the laws of gravity when you dunk, last name Dunkum! Marcus Dunkum!
sarp

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:38 am

FlyByNight101 wrote:I would think that he would be able to apply for a medical exemption for last season, but I don't think that happens until after he exhausts his 'normal' eligibility and the NCAA can be pretty inconsistent in granting those.

Not sure what you're referring to here. You don't get a medical exemption if you miss one year with injury. That just counts as a redshirt. The exemption comes into play if he seeks a sixth year, which would only happen if he had missed two seasons with injury. Sitting out according to transfer rules doesn't count (unless he proves he was too injured to play during that season anyway, which is what Gibbs argued for).
JacobPadilla

Postby ictjay » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:37 pm

Going to need some in depth articles on Slam once he laces em up in practice. Send the whole staff.
ictjay

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Slam Dunkum has the opportunity to make history and catch or pass notable walk-ons such as Newell, Moser, Halligan, Stormberg, Ferrarini, Olsen, Kreklow, Gibbs, DMD, the legendary Dusty Sitzman, and maybe even #1 Matty Dorwart...on the All-Time List.
;)

(¿Jerry Newell and Dusty Sitzman may have been rarely used scholied players?)
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby LJay » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Matt West was the ultimate walk on producing so much that he was awarded a scholarship for his senior season.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby slaw » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Read conflicting statements - is he definitely on scholarship starting in the summer? or does he have the opportunity to earn a scholarship (meaning not guaranteed)?
slaw

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting