Greatest CU basketball memory

Return to Off Topic

Re: Greatest CU basketball memory

Postby LJay » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:28 pm

vivid_dude wrote:It was an unseasonably warm day in early March of 2009 when my fondest CU memory occurred. For the five years prior, the flowers didn't smell as nice. The air wasn't as fresh. The songbirds seemed out of tune.

On that magnificent day, Matt Perrault left Omaha radio and all was right with the world. I'm actually starting to tear up a little as I type this...

That said, he is clearly responsible for the program's success. No reasonable person would dispute that.

He is the reason there are two Jays sites. If he wasn't such a f*** all of this would be happening at the Rivals site (paid and free boards) and perhaps there would be less Jays coverage sooooooo ...... he did us a favor ????!
77 - 62
LJay

Postby cu8493 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:52 am

There are so many. In chronological order:

My first CU game at the civic auditorium with the alter boys as a 5th or 6th grader. Was hooked for life.

Every time Vernon Moore went into the lane and hung in the air forever before releasing a high-arching shot over the opposing teams' big guys.

Being there in 1991 when Duane Cole hit a jumper from the free throw line at the buzzer to win 65-64 and clinch outright MVC championship. The place was going nuts when WSU hit a shot to go up a point with under 10 to go. When Cole hit the shot, many were still celebrating their bucket and it actually took a few seconds for the fact that they had lost to sink in. The celebration faded out over the next several seconds, and then . . stunned silence except for the few of us CU fans in the upper reaches of the arena and those few others who were seated behind the CU bench. I have never had so much fun walking out of an opposing arena.

(trivia -- CU also won the MVC tournament that year in the first year it was held in St. Louis, giving us perpetual bookend champtionships in St. Louis)

Also fondly remember 1999 MVC semi-final game against SWMS. One of the SMS guards (maybe Fontelroy) had made some remarks the day before about CU that Ben Walker did not like. In those days, they introduced alternating players from each team, who would go to half court and shake hands. When Fontelroy was introduced, the announcer next introduced Sears, but Ben instead was the one who hopped off the bench to go meet Fontelroy at half court with some rather choice words. Ben proceeded to have probably his best game ever as a Jay, scoring 23 points and limiting Fontelroy to 1-6 shooting. I still recall Gordy's comments after the game: "Rodney had a good game, Ryan had a good game, and they pissed the wrong guy off".
cu8493

Postby NUgradCUfan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:53 pm

vivid_dude wrote:It was an unseasonably warm day in early March of 2009 when my fondest CU memory occurred. For the five years prior, the flowers didn't smell as nice. The air wasn't as fresh. The songbirds seemed out of tune.

On that magnificent day, Matt Perrault left Omaha radio and all was right with the world. I'm actually starting to tear up a little as I type this...

That said, he is clearly responsible for the program's success. No reasonable person would dispute that.

Vivid, your post made my day. Because of this post I thought I thought I'd just google Matt Perrault for the hell of it, and I ended up on an Iowa State basketball message board on a forum from 2012 discussing the rumors and sheer hilarity of Creighton possibly joining the Big East and having to recruit against Power 5 schools. Stumbled upon this post:

"They are a good Mid-Major program both now and historically. You occasionally see these teams do well in the tourney (ie UNI vs KU) because they keep kids till their senior year and the players are 100% bought into the system.

Every once in a while they get a kid that could start at any school (Dougy fresh for example) No way they consistenly out recruit a B1G, B12 schools that are RELEVANT.

Meaning if ISU continues to have success and hopefully continues to improve which would mean continous NCAA tourney bids and some deep runs there is no way overall that the Bluejays out recruit across the board. Will they occasionally hit on a guy here or there, sure not consistently.

If you were 17, potentially talented enough to end up in the NBA and being recruited by ISU, Iowa and Creighton which of the 3 would you be least likely to pick? Exposure is much greater in B12 & B1G and lets be honest Greg's offense and his history with developing talent isnt exactly "exciting" "

Four years later and look at where we are. I love it. Merry Christmas everyone
NUgradCUfan

Postby cu8493 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Wait!!, what did you find on Matt P? Don't leave us hanging.
cu8493

Postby NUgradCUfan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:42 pm

cu8493 wrote:Wait!!, what did you find on Matt P? Don't leave us hanging.

Oh believe me that was my initial intention. :lol: Couldn't find anything board worthy
NUgradCUfan

Postby LetItFlyCU » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

Dang, where to even begin. I would rank my top games as follows....Should have just picked one, but I couldn't help myself. Nice trip down memory lane.

1.) Doug's final game at C-Link. Can't get much better than watching him sink that long 3 for his 3,000 point. I remember that moment so vividly. My section (229) was going wild. My wife, who usually sits in her phone the entire game, was engaged and even shed a tear when he walked off for the final time. Nothing will ever beat that game, in my opinion. If that isn't everyone's greatest memory of Creighton basketball.....i'd be really surprised.

2.) Long Beach State bracket buster game. I just remember that game being so crucial at the time. Jays need a win and this was my first year having season tickets (I just bought a single ticket for every game.) The shot at the buzzer really hooked me into being a Creighton fan for the rest of my life. That game really stands out in my mind.

3.) What would have been Doug's final home game (if he left for the NBA) vs. WSU was another one that really sticks out in my mind. I remember they murdered us the year before on our home floor, so it was really REALLY nice to get that win. Doug went off for a ton of points that night, too.

4.) Doug's buzzer beater vs. St. John's. This game isn't up there for a lot of people, but I really enjoyed this game. We had court side seats that night and I just remember being so amped after Doug hit that shot. The C-Link was pretty bare that night, too, if I am remembering correctly.

5.) Oklahoma game two years ago was a silver lining in what was one of the worst seasons in Creighton history. The C-Link was WILD that night, at least after halftime.

6.) First Big East game vs. Marquette. Nuff said.
LetItFlyCU

Postby LetItFlyCU » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:39 am

cujaysfan wrote:a few:

oddly enough - one was on this very day in '98 when al huss banked in his three to beat eddie sutton, Ali Gottlieb, and OSU at the old civic

beating NMSU in round one in the tourney back in 89 - our guys went into that game KNOWING they were gonna win and they did

the Vegas tourney which was kind of doug's national coming out party w wins against Wisky and Az St - man was that a fun drunken weekend

That Vegas tourney was NUTS. I was drinking whiskey in some Super 8 motel in my grandparents hometown for Thanksgiving losing my mind over the Wisconsin game. It was indeed a drunken weekend. Haha.
LetItFlyCU

Postby PhoenixBluejay » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:32 pm

1986-86 Beating a heavily favored Depaul team with Rod Strickland and crew.
PhoenixBluejay

Postby drbluejay » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 am

My favorite moment was when we beat Indiana State and Larry Bird for the 3rd time in the 77-78 season.
It happened in the final of the MVC tournament played in Omaha. We go into our famous 5 game w/ about 4 minutes left and then Rick Apke hits the game winner at the buzzer. Old timers refer to this moment as the SHOT and the loudest moment ever at the Civic Auditorium.
drbluejay

Previous

Return to Off Topic