2017 PG Tremont Waters (LSU Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Tremont Waters

Postby Jet915 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller

Creighton, Kansas, Syracuse, UConn among teams in running according to Tremont Waters
Jet915

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Well, we're in the running. Either we have the most incompetent coaching staff in the country or hoyahooligan is wrong.
bluejayfan00

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:27 pm

I think it's unlikely that Gtown will hold a kid that never set foot on campus because of a coaching change hostage even if HH is correct.

PR problem if they try to do that.
cujaysfan

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:38 pm

cujaysfan wrote:I think it's unlikely that Gtown will hold a kid that never set foot on campus because of a coaching change hostage even if HH is correct.

PR problem if they try to do that.

It's not holding him hostage it's BE rules. We granted him a release from his NLI but BE rules state he cannot go to a BE school even with the release. He can go to any other school if he so chooses, just not a BE one. It's not up to Georgetown.

It's in Butler's Athletics Handbook: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/butler.sidearmsports.com/documents/2016/5/19/Butler_Student_Athlete_Handbook.pdf

"Student-athletes in the sports of men’s and women’s basketball are not permitted to
transfer (directly or indirectly) from one BIG EAST institution to another BIG EAST
institution and compete in the sports of men’s and women’s basketball. However,
these student-athletes may transfer (directly or indirectly) from one BIG EAST institution
to another BIG EAST institution and may participate in sports other than men’s
and women’s basketball pursuant to the transfer parameters in the next clause. There
are no exceptions or waivers to this rule.

1. A student-athlete who signs a valid National Letter of Intent with a BIG EAST institution
is subject to the above-mentioned transfer policy for the sport in which they
signed the NLI.
2. A student-athlete who signs a valid National Letter of Intent with a BIG EAST institution,
and is subsequently granted a complete release to said NLI or is granted a release
by the NLI Steering Committee, is subject to the above-mentioned transfer policy
for the sport in which they signed the NLI."

It's from 2016. So this is a current BE rule.
hoyahooligan

Postby section202jay » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Someone is worried Waters will come back to bite them, jeez.
section202jay

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:03 pm

i don't think HH understands PR

united is within their rights to boot anyone from their flights that they see fit

the resulting sh*t storm is the consequence
cujaysfan

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:10 pm

HH just doesn't want to see Waters twice a year. Obviously, he can come here. Our coaches reached out, and he's considering us. End of story
bluejayfan00

Postby Jay09 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm going to trust the creighton compliance and coaching on this one that we can recruit him. Think they would know a rule like that if it does exist in the current big east guidelines
Jay09

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:02 pm

cujaysfan wrote:i don't think HH understands PR

united is within their rights to boot anyone from their flights that they see fit

the resulting sh*t storm is the consequence

I don't think you understand how this situation works. Georgetown isn't prohibiting him from doing anything. We could easily say we're fine with him going to Creighton, but that wouldn't allow him to go to Creighton. This is not a case of Georgetown holding the solution and preventing him out of spite. There's nothing Georgetown can do that would allow him to go to Creighton as the rule is written.

He couldn't claim Georgetown is preventing him to play at Creighton because we're not. There would be no PR problem.

And obviously I would hate to see him play at another BE school. That's exactly why the rule was put in place by the conference.
hoyahooligan

Postby Kolder Fan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:07 pm

This was quoted in an article from a month ago on ESPN.com - "Waters made a verbal commitment to the Hoyas in October, but there was widespread speculation about whether he signed a national letter of intent during November's early signing period when the university failed to announce it."

It states further into the article that his dad stated he did in fact sign a letter of intent, but perhaps there is something to this? Why else would Georgetown not announce that the NLI was signed?
Kolder Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting