2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (South Carolina Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu May 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Hmmmm, the possibilities here... (the milkmaid, yo mamma, aunt Jemmima, yo sister, Hillary, Monica Lewinsky, Shakira, Martha Stewart, Oprah, etc., on and on and on... :lol: )
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Alphawalt » Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Polyfro wrote:Five star forward Mo Bamba is headed to Texas. So that means the only three uncommitted players in the Rivals Top 150 are Tugs, Waters, and MJ Walker -- pretty crazy that the Jays are in on two of the three.

A pessimist might say it sucks that the Jays are in on the two players likely to decide last among the top 150, but I'll take the optimistic route of being impressed CU's staff still has them in position to land one or both!

Did Tugs ever rule out Texas? I know Texas has not been mentioned lately, but it was one of Tugs final five. Does the signing of Bamba put Texas back in the mix? Tugs did play a few all stars games where Bamba played. Does Texas even have another open spot to potentially pick off Tugs this late?
Alphawalt

Postby vivid_dude » Fri May 19, 2017 8:18 am

Alphawalt wrote:Did Tugs ever rule out Texas? I know Texas has not been mentioned lately, but it was one of Tugs final five. Does the signing of Bamba put Texas back in the mix? Tugs did play a few all stars games where Bamba played. Does Texas even have another open spot to potentially pick off Tugs this late?

Has Tugs ruled out anybody? Given how this has all gone, would anybody be surprised if he signed with Louisville or UCLA or Missouri or <insert college program>? I wouldn't.

Based on the always-reliable Twitter, it appears that Texas does have another open slot. Yesterday, after the Bamba signing, one of their players tweeted "Saved the best for last. You're the last one." and tagged Bowen. He retweeted it. And since he doesn't have "retweets are not endorsements" in his bio, commence hysteria.
vivid_dude

Postby dgassman3 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:50 am

Probably means absolutely nothing, but Jerry Meyer, director of basketball scouting at 247 Sports, tweeted this:

Apparently he has at least heard good Bowen news from someone he trusts. He is the only expert that currently has Creighton as his crystal ball pick. (Yes, that pick was made back in mid-April, but he is defending it still)
dgassman3

Postby vivid_dude » Fri May 19, 2017 10:29 am

Here is a solid explanation of what happens now that Tugs didn't sign a letter of intent by the May 17 deadline. This article also refers to Creighton as the "sleeping giant."

http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2017/5/18/15657190/brian-bowen-waiting-to-sign-national-letter-of-intent

In short, if I'm reading it correctly, he can't sign anything until this Fall. He can verbally commit whenever he wants, but there is nothing pushing that choice until the new Fall deadline. The article also expresses why this approach is actually quite smart for the player, even if it's "unfair" to coaches and fans.

It appears that the next meaningful date is May 24, the deadline for college players to withdraw from the NBA draft. Shortly thereafter, Tugs will know the roster make-up of every team he's considering. You would hope he could make a decision within a few weeks of that, but who knows?

Frankly, I'm surprised more top recruits don't exercise this discretion. And there is no doubt this thread will hit 100 pages as the summer months go by.
vivid_dude

Postby mredle » Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

vivid_dude wrote:Here is a solid explanation of what happens now that Tugs didn't sign a letter of intent by the May 17 deadline. This article also refers to Creighton as the "sleeping giant."

http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2017/5/18/15657190/brian-bowen-waiting-to-sign-national-letter-of-intent

In short, if I'm reading it correctly, he can't sign anything until this Fall. He can verbally commit whenever he wants, but there is nothing pushing that choice until the new Fall deadline. The article also expresses why this approach is actually quite smart for the player, even if it's "unfair" to coaches and fans.

It appears that the next meaningful date is May 24, the deadline for college players to withdraw from the NBA draft. Shortly thereafter, Tugs will know the roster make-up of every team he's considering. You would hope he could make a decision within a few weeks of that, but who knows?

Frankly, I'm surprised more top recruits don't exercise this discretion. And there is no doubt this thread will hit 100 pages as the summer months go by.

That's what I call information.
mredle

Postby #RollJays » Fri May 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Bout time y'all kissed and made up
#RollJays

Postby wbjay » Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Here is a solid explanation of what happens now that Tugs didn't sign a letter of intent by the May 17 deadline. This article also refers to Creighton as the "sleeping giant."

This is a meaningful post. It makes sense to me. I would think that many student athletes commit when they do because they may be afraid of not getting their choice of school if they don't commit early. Seems that Tugs may feel comfortable with any of the schools he has in his list, or he feels that if those schools fill those scholarships, he figures someone will find a scholarship for him.
wbjay

Postby Alphawalt » Sun May 21, 2017 1:00 pm

wbjay wrote:

This is a meaningful post. It makes sense to me. I would think that many student athletes commit when they do because they may be afraid of not getting their choice of school if they don't commit early. Seems that Tugs may feel comfortable with any of the schools he has in his list, or he feels that if those schools fill those scholarships, he figures someone will find a scholarship for him.

Right now, with only a few players each year having Tugs' approach, the NCAA is not doing anything. If it ever got to a point where a lot of incoming players take this approach, I am sure the rules would be changed to prevent this.
Alphawalt

Postby yeti47 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Alkins back to zona
yeti47

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting