2019 Guard Shereef Mitchell (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2018 Guard Shereef Mitchell

Postby drbluejay » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:17 am

Had 37 pts last night + the game winning 3 w/ 4 second left against Central. He plays outstanding defense for Burke High.
Shereef has a lot of will and heart and wouldn't shock me if Creighton would offer in 2019.
drbluejay

Postby kenoman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:08 pm

drbluejay wrote:Had 37 pts last night + the game winning 3 w/ 4 second left against Central. He plays outstanding defense for Burke High.
Shereef has a lot of will and heart and wouldn't shock me if Creighton would offer in 2019.

I have been hoping they offer. I would like to get the best player in Omaha most years. His dad was really fun to watch.
kenoman

Postby whtblu » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am

https://twitter.com/MikeSautterOWH/stat ... 4818550784

Clip of winning shot from Mike Sautter. This angle doesn't do justice to the difficulty of that shot. I was at the game and had a great view. He was falling away to the corner and was closely guarded by Roman Behrens. Shereef almost didn't even react after it went in, just ran back to play defense. The kid is so calm, he never gets overly excited or worried or upset. Just a bucket getter and a gamer!

Sautter has full game highlights on his twitter as well. Can see a few of Shereef's 37 points as well as a couple sweet passes he makes for teammates.
whtblu

Postby T-bone » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 pm

Watching Shereef on TV against South. He sure does have some nice hair. He is quick btw
T-bone

Postby Panhandle Jay » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Let's hope that Khryi Thomas's success at CU and being a local kid plays a role.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby mredle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:54 pm

kenoman wrote:
drbluejay wrote:Had 37 pts last night + the game winning 3 w/ 4 second left against Central. He plays outstanding defense for Burke High.

I have been hoping they offer. I would like to get the best player in Omaha most years. His dad was really fun to watch.

How did that work out for Fran at Iowa?
mredle

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:08 pm

mredle wrote:
kenoman wrote:

How did that work out for Fran at Iowa?

So ... you don't want CU to get the best player in Omaha most years? Or just not this kid? Or just don't think his dad was fun to watch?
Outlaw_Wales

Postby mredle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 pm

What I am saying is simply this, a goal of signing the best player in Omaha most years, that's the wrong goal. The goal should to sign any Omaha kid talented enough to play at the level of competition that the Creighton Bluejays compete in and aspire to. If there is a kid from Omaha that measures up, by all means sign the kid. But if the crop of Omaha prep kids won't measure up, the coaches need to move on. I hope Omaha has a long line of great prep stars that follow Khyri, but if he is the last qualified player for the next two decades, so be it.
mredle

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:05 pm

mredle wrote:What I am saying is simply this, a goal of signing the best player in Omaha most years, that's the wrong goal. The goal should to sign any Omaha kid talented enough to play at the level of competition that the Creighton Bluejays compete in and aspire to. If there is a kid from Omaha that measures up, by all means sign the kid. But if the crop of Omaha prep kids won't measure up, the coaches need to move on. I hope Omaha has a long line of great prep stars that follow Khyri, but if he is the last qualified player for the next two decades, so be it.

That makes sense. I guess that's what I read into the initial quote -- that if there is a legit D-1 major player in the Omaha area, CU should get that kid most years, not that we should just sign whoever happens to be best even if not even capable of playing at a junior college level.

I just don't want to see any legitimate D-1 major talent from Omaha end up down the road, because I love seeing the local kids succeed on the college level and it would break my brain to have that conflict with wanting to see UN fail. Hopefully that means seeing those kids play at Creighton and follow the footsteps of Dotzler, Young, Jones, Patton, Thomas, etc.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby cu8493 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:53 pm

I have in the past wondered what could have been had Tom Apke stuck around for another couple of years and had he been able to get Kerry Trotter, Dave Hoppen, Vic Lazzeretti, Ron Kellog and maybe even Dean Thompson to join Alex Stivrins at Creighton. Although the Willis Reed era was fun for most of his last couple years here, the early 80s could have played out much differently. 1980 and 1981 were a couple of classes like none other in Omaha history. That would have made a great home-town team which, with a couple of other pieces, could have been nationally competitive.
cu8493

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting