Fedor Zugic (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Fedor Zugic (Signed)

Postby cujaysfan » Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:04 pm

Last point is important as it relates to CU.

It was Fedor or bust. We would have either pocketed the scholarship or perhaps rewarded a walkon.

He might have a point overall, but not to our specifics.
cujaysfan

Postby #RollJays » Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:57 pm

cujaysfan wrote:Last point is important as it relates to CU.

It was Fedor or bust. We would have either pocketed the scholarship or perhaps rewarded a walkon.

He might have a point overall, but not to our specifics.

Fedor fills a huge void. I think TO is being a little dramatic with the foreign players. A lot of European teams limit their rosters to only a couple non domestic players. I doubt it’s ever going to turn into a situation where half of the players in the ncaa are foreign but do agree you could cap it at like 2-3 per team. We also can’t pretend that we aren’t playing professional basketball now at the college level.
#RollJays

Postby PAJay » Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:46 pm

From the NBA draft room - https://nbadraftroom.com/2025-2nd-round/

Not drafted but ironic - Ryan Nembhard #172. Fedor Zugic #175 "A long, lanky 2 guard who is one of the most intriguing international prospects."
PAJay

Postby NateFunkyTown » Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:41 pm

A very happy 21st birthday to the oldest true freshman in the BE!! Absolutely pumped to see Fedor play. On that note, I've seen all the speculation about him potentially being ruled ineligible. I kind of assumed that he would not have come over if that was a real possibility, and that the reason it took him so long to officially sign with the Jays was that Creighton, Fedor, and the NCAA were working through the paperwork to ensure he would be eligible and allowed to play.

Maybe I was wrong to make that assumption. And yes, I know the NCAA is a utter-less flaming dumpster fire that has no idea how to handle any of these situations with consistency or tact. All that being said, has anyone heard anything concrete on this eligibility situation? Is it a *real* concern? Are CBB writers bringing it up in a purely speculative manner because this situation is clearly so unique? Is it more likely he is suspended to start the year, and gains eligibility later on, or is it more of a all or nothing he'll be ruled ineligible or eligible and it's over with?

Sorry super long-winded post. I'm just so excited for this team and season, but a lot of that excitement hinges on the fact that Fedor is on the roster and playing. The top end talent and depth takes a big hit without him. Fingers crossed he's good to go!
NateFunkyTown

Postby SeattleJay » Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:55 pm

Well, there is this from earlier today:

https://x.com/ssn_jays/status/1836459130870972468?s=42

Not definitive, but looking good in the uniform
SeattleJay

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:58 pm

Who is speculating and what are the bases (plural of basis) for their speculations? I haven't seen anything from an online media outlet written on Fedor in weeks. Are we talking random accounts on Twitter? Without any references to rules that might indicate some violations, I would assume those speculations are not credible whatsoever.
Jaysker12

Postby HandDownManDown » Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:36 pm

Word has it its up to the NCAA and it’s both on the NCAA’s time line, and it isn’t a slam dunk.
HandDownManDown

Postby NateFunkyTown » Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:43 am

Terrence Oglesby has been actively arguing that he should not be ruled eligible, that a rule needs to be made to prevent this from happening in the future (former pros being eligible to play college), and him and Rob Dauster were discussing it in a way that suggests they think that the NCAA will have to deem him eligible—compared it to the situation with the Kentucky big man last year.
NateFunkyTown

Postby NateFunkyTown » Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:46 am

Considering their podcast (Field of 68) is one of the most popular national CBB pods I kind of just assumed it was a talking point. I don’t really have any other specific examples that come to mind though—don’t follow CBB stuff outside of Jays news in the off-season really.
NateFunkyTown

Postby Jaybird » Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:18 am

Illinois' prized recruit is 6' 6" wing Kasparas Jakuclonis. He's been playing for FC Barcelona, which is a top-flight pro team. (Seikaly, Ricky Rubio and the Gasols played there). There doesn't seem to be any concern on Illini message boards about his eligibility. They're just worried about whether he'll stay more than one year because they sound pretty sure he'll end up in the NBA draft next spring. Maybe the situations are different, but apparently we're not alone in trying to get a Euro pro qualified for this season.
Jaybird

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting