UConn to BIG 12?

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: UConn to BIG 12?

Postby maxpowers » Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:50 pm

I remember sharing my opinion about UConn shortly after after they announced they would rejoin the Big East. I always hated the idea of them rejoining. UConn athletics is constantly broke ($70M deficit expected in 2025). They're likely to remain that way even with a big infusion of money that would come with joining the Big 12. What does it say about priorities when a college education remains unaffordable for so many people, yet the taxpayers and students of Connecticut subsidize this stinker (they should just relegate their football program to FCS where they can spend appropriately and be happy with Big East sports everywhere else).

Anyway, to the one or two people who dissed my opinion back then, I declare victory !
maxpowers

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:45 pm

maxpowers wrote:I remember sharing my opinion about UConn shortly after after they announced they would rejoin the Big East. I always hated the idea of them rejoining. UConn athletics is constantly broke ($70M deficit expected in 2025). They're likely to remain that way even with a big infusion of money that would come with joining the Big 12. What does it say about priorities when a college education remains unaffordable for so many people, yet the taxpayers and students of Connecticut subsidize this stinker (they should just relegate their football program to FCS where they can spend appropriately and be happy with Big East sports everywhere else).

Anyway, to the one or two people who dissed my opinion back then, I declare victory !

Please be careful not to injure your shoulder patting yourself on the back. I do get your point though….
SonofFrankTomera

Postby Django » Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:25 pm

I’m glad UCONN is in the Big East and hope they stay and do the only logical thing, drop their football team to FCS and cut the Title IX requirements that come with FBS. It will solve all their financial problems the only way that makes sense.
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:02 am

UConn’s community is exhibiting cult-like behavior. They are convinced that they are a P4, 3, 2 school in athletics. Nothing seems able to dislodge that notion.
A spotty history in the sport, poor performance on the field, penny-pinching on the necessities needed in attaining the top level, and building a massive overall debt burden.

They will ultimately crash & burn in a glorious implosion & become a lesson for all FCS schools (what Not to do).
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby WBR Tom » Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:05 pm

Looks like the Big 12 presidents told their commissioner they weren't interested. Once the news broke of Fox telling the B12 that they wouldn't pay more for the addition of UConn, the writing was on the wall here. But yeah, UConn to the Big 12 is dead (for now).

Meanwhile, UConn's AD sent this letter to fans and boosters today confirming that news, though it's interesting that he words things a bit differently -- instead of "mutually agreed to pause", as the Big 12 report said, he says it was the Big 12's decision solely. The tone of the letter is pretty clear; they're in the Big East because they have to be, not because they want to be. Which is the total opposite from the other 10 members.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2024/9/5/ ... edict.aspx
WBR Tom

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:58 pm

Shocking.

If you're going to cheat on your wife - you probably shouldn't do in the town square while everyone is watching.

I love the above poster's suggestion that the BE treat UConn in kind as far as scheduling, BET tickets, hosting, etc.
cujaysfan

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:05 pm

Not worth starting fresh thread and it does fall under the heading of more conference realignment.

Looking like Memphis and Tulane will be the next two joining the latest version of the PAC 10.

And whatever as far as that goes.

But you can pour a tall glass of whatever you like while you chuckle at the shockers who are now in a conference with a bunch of nobodies headlined by Tulsa and Temple, neither of which have mattered since the Clinton administration.
cujaysfan

Postby LJay » Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:43 pm

So, at College Sports Madness, Memphis is picked as the top team in the AAC. They are #49 over all. There are 7 BE teams still not revealed there. But as we know football rules.

The AAC sure turned out the loser of that split off way back when, eh?
89 - 60
LJay

Postby cr8ngrad » Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:29 am

LJay wrote:So, at College Sports Madness, Memphis is picked as the top team in the AAC. They are #49 over all. There are 7 BE teams still not revealed there. But as we know football rules.

The AAC sure turned out the loser of that split off way back when, eh?

LOL...they have them as an 11 seed...we did better in the MVC days
cr8ngrad

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:43 pm

The AAC had like 2 good years with Houston, Cincy, WSU, and Memphis all being somewhat relevant in the national landscape. But no loyalty to the conference brand meant that each of those schools had no reason to stay when presented with an exit option..

They have been squarely outside the 5 best conferences since the split from the C7.
Jaysker12

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops